Skip to main content

Blue Earth County Fair 2017

Maybe it is the sound of a rooster at 6 am.  Maybe it is the silence of nature. Maybe it is the smell of fried food. Or maybe it is the simplicity of this place.  This campground that has called the Blue Earth County Fair for 157 years.  Whatever it is, my family decided to camp at Shady Oaks Campground this year to enjoy the fair.  The days were filled with horses, blue ribbons, fried food, crafts, derbies and tractor pulls.


I grew up in this area, but I never really appreciated it until I moved away 9 years ago.  It has been a long time since I heard a rooster at 6 am instead of the annoying buzz of my alarm clock.  Well, if you have ever hear a roster, you know there is not a snooze button, so I got up.  The campground was silent, still and peaceful.  As I made my way to the horse barn, I could see the sun rise over the trees and wondered why don't I get up this early back home?  The horse barn was filled with kiddos preparing their horses for the day of events, either to show them, ride them or just have them out for kids, like mine, to gleefully walk by and talk about how pretty they are.  As the kids prepared their horse and stables, the parents were enjoying their morning coffee. This was the simplicity we all long for, but are too busy to see it.


As the day was getting started the gates opened and people started filling in to all of the buildings.  These building filled with blue, red and white ribbons.  Not just for best cow or big, but for best Lego project, pie or blanket.  These kids have worked so hard and were so proud of their projects that they wanted anyone and everyone to see them.  The participates knew what it takes to win a blue ribbon and to be proud, even if they didn't.  As I walked by, I was in awe of the time and attention they had to make such great projects.  Time that is not filled with driving spot to spot to have them participate is to many sports.  But time filled with family and pride.  I am not saying kids can not take pride in their activities, but I have sat on those sidelines, with my phone out not paying attention to the field.  These projects that were created may or may not have had some parent help, but it was done in the home.


What is a county fair without fried food and homemade crafts?  As afternoon hit it was time to take a pick from onion rings, tacos, mini doughnuts and as you know the list could go on.  But the smell of all of these together is heaven.  As we filled our bellies the PA system said there would be a free craft in the 4H Building.  Well, I am not sure about you but I hear the word FREE and I have to go.  They had crafts all day long, and they were FREE!  Most of these crafts, you have probably seen before, oh you know somewhere on your Pinterest Board.  Yes, they actually did crafts from their Pinterest Boards!  My mini came home with shaving cream art, a popsicle whistle and a quilt tile.  She was so proud of each and everyone, because she made them. 


Last, but not least what is a fair without some metal crashing into metal or cars racing around a track. Imagine it is 7 o'clock on a weekend night, the derby pit is lit up with stadium lights and you hear the sound of an engine on its last piston, just one crash or lap away from blowing up, right there on the track. You hear, the announcer asking the driver if he finally proposed to his girlfriend or if one of the pit mechanics are ever going to get out of the pit to actually race.  It is in that moment you realize there is something in the authenticity of this fair.


This fair that has been in the same location for 157 years.  This fair that may not have the draw of some other events, but they have authenticity.  This fair somehow knows everyone who drives through the gate, someway or another.  I do not know about you but in a world of busy schedules, fake conversation and casual friendships, I want to remember that I can get away from it.  I can take my family to this fair, this fair that has a history that only volunteers can tell about a school house that is smaller then our bedrooms.  Experiences that can show my kids what tools existed, that their great grandparents used.  So no it wasn't the rooster, the fried food or the free events.  It was the simplicity and authenticity of the Blue Earth County Fair that will make me comeback again next year.



















 
 

Comments